Berzeck

WTF is worldcoin wallet closed source ? ( spoiler: it isn't )

14 posts in this topic

We are receiving some messages asking us why we closed the source code of the wallet, that is not true and i will  explain what is the real situation.

So diagram time !!! ( :angry:  i hate diagram time  )

Please  look or download the graphic attached to have a general idea.

Worldcoin wallet IS and ALWAYS will be open source .... what we have done is to integrate some services to the wallet, for example in a standard coin if you want to update your wallet you need to use a browser, download the files manually and finally copying it to previous version; with the Wizard, we just  are able to speed up this process and make it more secure because the Wizard automatically controls the hash of each file after download. The same with the initial chain download, we OFFER  the SERVICE to download the last chain in a compressed format making a lot faster the synchronization process.

The wallet itself IS open source, Pulzar (which is the software offering these services ) isn't  in the same way Cryptsy , Crypto Diggers,  Bittylicious  etc etc etc. aren't open source; it doesn't make sense that we push for SERVICES around WDC being open source, our objective is that legal business use WDC we don't care about how (at least not for now)

If you don't trust our services .. fair enough ! ... in  the next version we will make easy to disable these services compile time if that is what our users want.

We will also open the Wizard itself so all the client stack becomes open source. ( The wizard is a separated program form the main wallet called WorldcoinBC)

The idea in the future (as you can see in the fourth diagram) is that business will be able to build their own servers (their own Pulzar's if you may) that can offer hundreds of services directly integrated in the WDC wallet , and each business will decide what license will use for the services they want to provide and each user will decide what services will be enabled in his/her wallet.

We will build tens of optional services available from  Pulzar (now there are only 2 ). Also Pulzar being closed source will allow us to license the technology to  business that wouldn't like to invest developing their own server to provide their services ( probably just asking for a small fee from each sale so they don't have to put cash upfront)

To conclude WDC WALLET IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE OPEN SOURCE ( i could swear i can almost hear an 'hallelujah' :D )

post-1-0-64810700-1426824588_thumb.jpg

Thanks for clarifying this, I was going to private message because I wasn't capable of explaining in detail but it seems you acted already.

Thanks for clarifying this, I was going to private message because I wasn't capable of explaining in detail but it seems you acted already.

Yeah it was "Diagram time!" i hope i won't need to do diagrams again because it took me 3 hours to do that tiny polygons.  next time it will probably be "Please trust us time !!" :D

Ah, no, use something like this instead next time https://www.draw.io/

hahahahah i will , great find ! to be honest i exaggerated a little to highlight how much i dislike 'Diagram Time!!", but   surely it felt that passed 3 hours !

That Linux app was ugly too :(

I agree that hides part of the code is a good idea.

Why put all your work to a show that anyone could copy this development and use for their own clones.

Every developer should be able to protect its Intelligent labor.

I agree that hides part of the code is a good idea.

Why put all your work to a show that anyone could copy this development and use for their own clones.

Every developer should be able to protect its Intelligent labor.

I think that if all of it was closed, it would be different. The fact is that we are here to make things user friendly so if the majority are against something then it will most likely be considered. Obviously the crowd is not always correct and can sometimes make poor judgement based on what is presented to them. For example change the reward to a reduction of 500%, everybody like, yay my Worldcoins go up in value for me, brilliant idea but long term it means that prices are falsely inflated, how could we sleep at night? The truth is, if you don't want to trust there are going to be options so you don't have to but the idea is to keep everybody moderately happy.

By the way I have not talked about what you need to reduce the award.

just  overall deployment plan Worldcoin seems too long for many owners.

After all, every day someone has to buy 100K WDC.

It makes more sense to change the total number of coins (for example to a value of 100 million coins) but it is possible that this is also not all agree.

By the way I have not talked about what you need to reduce the award.

just  overall deployment plan Worldcoin seems too long for many owners.

After all, every day someone has to buy 100K WDC.

No no, that was just example, obviously not everything translates very good.

Charts is the easiest option to represent bulk of data in an interactive manner.Today charting libraries are used for creation of interactive and enlightening charts. Charting libraries like Koolchart, Google free chart etc are widely used charting libraries.

post-82-0-81135000-1432876259_thumb.jpg

Charts is the easiest option to represent bulk of data in an interactive manner.Today charting libraries are used for creation of interactive and enlightening charts. Charting libraries like Koolchart, Google free chart etc are widely used charting libraries.

Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for information, although i don't get how this relates to this post in particular.

Care to detail ? :)