alferz

Changing the Algorithm - WorldDefense

Hey all, lately I've been testing some changes to the core Worldcoin daemon code to replace the Scrypt algorithm first used by Litecoin with Cryptonight. I'm dubbing these changes "Worldcoin WorldDefense". This would just replace the hashing algorithm, and would not introduce all the other privacy related features like stealth addressing used by Cryptonote based coins (Monero, Bytecoin, et al). The changes I'm thinking of would also include changing the difficulty retargeting algorithm to improve resistance to large hash-rate mining pools, and change the block reward emission curve. These changes eliminate the usage of ASIC's, and would allow us to tap into a dedicated community of Cryptonight miners. In addition to the core daemon changes which would trigger a hard fork, we would also need to work on a modified version of an existing cryptonight pool/stratum proxy to allow pools to be created to mine Worldcoin using the new algo. I wrote a short whitepaper at the link below too. Would love to hear any feedback, and if there are any C++/Javascript developers out there who would like to join me on this effort I would appreciate it! This would be a big change to Worldcoin as we know it, but I'm convinced its needed for the long term viability of our coin.

Worldcoin WorldDefense Whitepaper

great to hear such news!

I apreciate algo change and stuff about diff retargeting. It will really help to target this coin back to GPU miners and minimize the impact of multipools. Great job.
Will the next wallet release be in classic concept (eg like FTC, LTC) or the WBC concept? I think people need essential wallet which is able to run without any problems and is able to install without any external server. You can see actual situation, when source server is offline and nobody is able to install latest releases. And what about db structure? Will the problem with no recognized dat files (wallet.dat corrupt, salvage failed error) be finally solved?

At last some initiative.Read the Whitepaper and I must say that I dont like every proposition described there.

"Change from the Scrypt hashing algorithm to Cryptonight’s algorithm"
That may be done, but not neccesarily(that just adds extra work). It will be enough to shake off multipools just by changing  the difficulty retargeting calculations. Why not to retarget difficulty every 5 blocks instead of 120? Maybe even less if that will not lead to the stales? That's it. No multipool tries to point their minerbase to the coin for a 5 or less blocks. 

"A change from 30 second block times to 2 minutes"
Bad Idea - that makes WDC an average coin like thousands out there. 30sek was the real advantage of the WDC. If that changes the advantage will be gone. Also WDC wad promoted as blazyng 30sek fast coin which it was sometimes occasionally :).

"Increase block rewards to 60 Worldcoin per blockfor 1 year from this change"
Nonono - that confuses even more. Every newcomer who will look at the history of WDC sees that there is no rewarding-stability. Once it was about 60WDC's per block and now again?

Conclusion: brilliant initiative, but too many radical changes that lose the real face of WDC . Maybe what I proposed is not possible to accomplish technically?
I think that we should make changes bit by bit and decide next steps on the fly depending on the given situation AND MOST IMPORTANTLY without gaps in communication.

Before someone starts a whole discussion about inflation, the block rewards almost stay the same as it was supposed to, at daily basis. It's just that the rewards get reduced at specific block counts. Am I right @alferz?

2 hours ago, Xanur said:

It's just that the rewards get reduced at specific block counts. Am I right @alferz?

Correct Xanur, right now the block reward stands at 14.4/block and will taper off to zero eventually over the next few years. My proposal would reset it to 60 WDC / block for a 1 year period and then drop off, but never actually go to zero which I think will help with renewing interest from the mining community, a really important part of the health of the network.

2 hours ago, vitjuhhino said:

At last some initiative.Read the Whitepaper and I must say that I dont like every proposition described there.

Thanks, you make a lot of great points and I welcome the discussion vitjuhhino! Making small changes is really hard when you are talking about core daemon code, since each of those changes would require another hard fork. Thats the hardest part to get right because you have to coordinate with all the community members, all the mining pools plus the exchanges every time. Plus there is a big risk of creating two solid forks every time you do it. So I'm thinking its best to encapsulate these major changes all at once rather than try to do them one at a time.

Changing the algorithm was primarily to eliminate ASIC's. You are right that we can add stability simply by changing the retargeting algorithm. I like the idea of GPU/CPU only mining because I think it creates a stable base of true enthusiasts. GPU rigs are hard to setup and maintain, its not as easy as plug it in and mine like ASIC's are. Plus most of the ASIC hashpower is coming from the ASIC manufacturers themselves as they "test" new ASICs before they are sold to the masses. ASICs create an arms race and IMO are bad for any coin.

9 hours ago, marecek666 said:

Will the next wallet release be in classic concept (eg like FTC, LTC) or the WBC concept?

For my proposal I'm only looking at changing core network/daemon code to help add network stability. Once those changes are in place the wallet changes would be close behind!

Well, I agree with you about minimizing forking interval but what about 30sek timing. That was the point, the trump, the slogan of WDC. If that will be changed to 2min's instead of strengthening 30sek time-interval and making that dependable then WDC will become average and inconspicuous cryptocoin with loads of sht from past which makes it worth of its 630'th position in coinmarketcap like it is now. Isn't it so?