vrielance

undo wallet install (linux)

Question

Hi and thanks in advance for your help.

I cannot start my system after I installed the worldcoin wallet for Linux. Is there a way to undo the changes en uninstall the wallet via the root terminal in recovery?

Thanks,

Marco

8 answers to this question

hi vrielance,

I am sure that Worldcoin wallet is not the problem because it doesn't install as a normal program, in fact it is just a bunch of files that it downloads to a specific folder and doesn't touch any other folder ('/etc' for example). We did this to allow portable installations so you can download it to an USB without problems.

In other words 'uninstalling ' consists removing the directory where the application is contained nothing more.

i can try to help you diagnose your Linux problem though, for starters which distribution do you use? can you paste logs?

maybe a disk error? make a fsck to all partitions

Hi Berzeck and thank you for your help.

I am using Linux Mint 17.2 Mate 64 bit, 4.1.3-040103 generic. (with /dev/sda1)

I followed the installation proces in the FAQs (How do I install the Worldcoin Wallet on Linux?)

At startup I get a fail for:

1. Starting Read required files in advance

2. Starting Mount filesystems on boot

An fsck in the recovery menu gives me:

mountall: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.1: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

I can mount sda1 with: mount -o remount /dev/sda1, after which I do a dpkg --configure -a with the output as shown in image_1 .

I think it has something to do with the dependencies I installed.

Hope you can help me and I am of course available to give more information.

Thanks,

Marco

image_1.jpg

Hello, i can think of two situations that can cause this problem:

a) Bad disk, try to fsck to check for bad sectors. If you don't know how, you may read this tutorial i found for linux Mint

http://mintguide.org/system/283-how-to-check-and-fix-the-disk-for-errors-and-bad-sectors-in-linux-mint.html

b ) Some packages with different versions are conflicting with each other, this usually happens when non core  repositories have dependencies conflicts 

Maybe you should try to disable most extra repositories you installed and try to update your system, also try to reinstall libudev which seems missing

Try those things in order, remember to  unmount partitions when using fsck!

Ok thanks, I will try your suggestions and let you know.

It's just that during the installation of the worldcoin wallet I got a warning that some experimental, non verified dependencies were going to be installed and I accepted. I shut down my pc right after the installation and the errors came at restart. So I think the error is in the libudev but I am not familiar with this.
That's why I asked if I can roll back the wallet installation...

Sure! oddly enough WorldcoinBC is not packaged as .deb or .rpm so it is unable to install dependencies by itself.

If dependencies are not met then the applications install but does not run. You can use ldd command to find out which dependencies are missing.

We did this exactly to avoid this kind of problem.

Let me know!