brunozisterer

Bitcoinwallet "Case" I also want this for Worldcoin !

Hy WDC-Community,

This topic I posted a few week earlyer:

An other thing: Did anybody saw the new hardware wallet from :

http://choosecase.com/

Imagin you could have this device working with Worldcoins, that would be great.

Don't wait 20 minutes until Bitcoins are transfered.

Now I want to give you some updates on this project:

So, I ordered a device for my self and received a email that Case is going to

begin shipping the Bitcoin wallet on September 21th. Check also out the Image below.

case.png

"We do not store direct images of your fingerprints on our servers. We store a geometric template of the relative locations of unique elements of your fingerprint and this template is used to validate the fingerprint scan. That template, along with all your other sensitive user data are encrypted with what we call the User Data Encryption Key (UDEK). Each user has a unique UDEK and that UDEK does not live on our servers, it actually lives on the device. The device grants the server temporary access to your user data in order for the server to validate the fingerprint scan and sign the transaction with the server key. If the server-side database is ever compromised, an attacker would get encrypted fingerprints that they can’t decrypt since the keys to decrypt them don’t actually live on the server."

So if somebody obtains your walletcase for instance, hacks the server, they can pair the two and decrypt the keys and unlock the device. To me that sounds not too great but then they go on to say that that's only 1 of the 3 keys the hackers would need. However the third key, (no mention of second key) can be stored wherever you want, or in a secure vault. So I sound crazy but it might be a bit like Harry Potter searching for horcruxes but it sounds quite easy to access if the hacker obtains your mobile phone and your fingerprint and email access. Don't even need the walletcase since they send it to you if you verify your mobile number. Since most phones are touch screen you can extract the fingerprint from there.

"Don’t worry - your bitcoins are safe. Since only one of the three keys has been lost, whoever finds or steals your Case can’t access your bitcoins. If you lose your Case, just use our online recovery process. We’ll ask you to verify your email address and phone number. This information layer will unlock the offline recovery key. We’ll then mail you a fingerprint scanner that you can use to unlock the biometrically secured server key and recover your bitcoins. The vault key can also be controlled by you."

Edited by Accept

If you watch this, it explains why you should never ever use a fingerprint scanner because you are required by law to unlock any devices with your fingerprint if law enforcement says so. This means ownership could potentionally be proven.. I feel that cryptolabs haven't really thought this through enough.

Hi Accept, Thank you for your statement. I'm not going to use larger amounts of Bitcoins on this Wallet anyway. Personally I would like to have a device in which I scan the recipient's address, enter the amount of Bitcoins and send them, without all these securuty features. I also do not think that this device is suitable for everyday use, the reason is that the transaction time is still far too high. The transfer speed should be at least as fast as Stellar or Ripple. So, now Case once made a start on this unit and it will probably not be the last of its kind, interesting is to see how things develop.

Edited by brunozisterer

Hi Accept, Thank you for your statement. I'm not going to use larger amounts of Bitcoins on this Wallet anyway. Personally I would like to have a device in which I scan the recipient's address, enter the amount of Bitcoins and send them, without all these securuty features. I also do not think that this device is suitable for everyday use, the reason is that the transaction time is still far too high. The transfer speed should be at least as fast as Stellar or Ripple. So, now Case once made a start on this unit and it will probably not be the last of its kind, interesting is to see how things develop.

No problem, and yes security features similar to this are already available on some wallets or exchanges but most don't bother to use them. Everytime you want to send bitcoin or worldcoin, do you really want to get your phone out and enter 2FA codes?

Then again, do you really want to risk your identity using this bitcoincase, it would take 30seconds to prove it belongs to you if confiscated. And you can't deny opening it like you can with a passcode.